Saturday, March 30, 2013

Elite 8 Predictions

Now that we're passed the Sweet 16 it's time to look ahead at the Elite 8 match-ups. However, before I do that I would like to commend both Syracuse and Marquette. I wasn't too surprised by Syracuse, but it was still very impressive how they were able to completely shut down Indiana's offense, something I just didn't see coming. As for Marquette, they played so hard and with so much physicality that it just took Miami completely out of their game. They pressured the ball so much that Miami had trouble just getting inside the three-point line. Not only was Miami not ready for that pressure, they really put forth a lackluster effort that I was truly disappointed in. Especially since I had them winning it all in my bracket. This was me right after the loss. But seriously, kudos to both Marquette and Syracuse. Now for the Elite 8:

Louisville vs. Duke

(http://www.sportstravel.com/college-basketball/louisville.php)

I'm looking at all four of these games and thinking these are really good match-ups that are gonna be hard to pick a winner for. This game is no exception and I believe we are in for quite a show. This is going to be a shootout between two guys that have been on fire in this tournament: Russ Smith of Louisville and Seth Curry of Duke. Smith has averaged 27 points per game in the tournament while shooting 55% from the field and Curry is scoring 24 points per game on 50% shooting. The difference in this game I believe will be the physicality that I foresee Louisville playing with. They will own Duke on the boards and considering Ryan Kelly's recent struggles ( 6 ppg, 29% shooting in tourney), I just don't see Louisville losing this one.

Ohio State vs. Wichita State

(http://www.beyondusports.com/ohio-state-cut-nets/)

This is an intriguing game and I would not be all that surprised to see Wichita State pull off the upset (and frankly I would like to see it because with my bracket destroyed I'm cheering for the underdog). That being said I don't see it happening. So far in the tournament, Wichita State has yet to see anything like the competition they're going to see from Ohio State. I understand they knocked off the number one seed Gonzaga, but let's be honest, that team was grossly over-seeded. Also, interestingly enough, I think that these close calls Ohio State has had will actually be helpful. Should the game come down to the final minute, I'd put my money on the Buckeyes to seal the deal. This will probably be a better game than most people are expecting, but there won't be an upset in this game.

Florida vs. Michigan

(http://isportsweb.com/2011/11/15/michigan-basketball-trey-burke-leads-wolverines-victory/)

This is the hardest game for me to pick. I grew up a Florida Gators fan and my heart is telling me that they are going to win. Unfortunately the Gators just haven't shown me enough to make me confident that they can win this game. Michigan, on the other hand, has been very impressive thus far in the tournament, led by Trey Burke (above). When the game looked all but over, Burke put the team on his back and propelled the Wolverines to a win over Kansas last night. The key play in the comeback was the three pointer he hit from NBA range with 4 seconds left to send the game into overtime. Too often have I seen the Gators offense become stagnant over its last few games, leading me to believe that Michigan will be able to pull off another victory and move on to the Final Four.

Marquette vs. Syracuse

(http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/college_basketball/2013/03/east_syracuse_tops_indiana_61_50_marquette_next)

This is going to be a great match-up and I can see it going either way. However, I think Marquette has the edge over Syracuse. I love the energy that I've watched the Golden Eagles play with over the past week. They're also coming into this game with a ton of confidence in themselves, not only because they knocked off Miami and have been able to win close games, but also because they have already beaten Syracuse earlier in the season. In my opinion, that's the key right there. They won't be afraid of the Orange. The advantage Syracuse generally has over other teams is that their opponents are generally not used to playing against a 2-3 zone defense. Marquette, however, has plenty of experience playing against it and should be able to find just enough ways to score to win the game.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny graphic describing your feelings after Miami's loss! JJD

    ReplyDelete